Friday, June 30, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 43 - Hanoi to Sanya

So, after thinking for a while, I decide to leave Oceania for another Tour in the future. This continent deserves a proper independent tour, doing island hopping, bush trips and so, probably with a Daher Kodiak or similar plane. Hence, let's continue towards Japan. But first, few legs along China southern coast.

I found 4 passengers wanting to fly to Sanya, South of Hainan island. And to me this is the perfect excuse to see Haiphong and Ha Long bay. In addition to this, it will be the first time flying over the sea in this Tour. I mean, crossing the sea, because I flew along the Adriatic coast for few legs, but that's a different type of flying.

So I takeoff heading South, to border Hanoi, capital of Vietnam and second largest city with 8 million people (the largest city is Ho Chi Minh City, with 9 million), very close to its restricted airspace. 








From here I head East towards Haiphong and the sea.






And there it is, Ha Long Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage site, containing near 2,000 limestone islands and up to 60 different endemic faunal species. And massive touristic impact, with plenty of boat tours leaving from Ha Long harbor. I flew at low altitude along the whole Bay and I will consider a short revisit in the future.

















Once I was satisfied with the views, I pressurized the cabin and climbed up to FL195, to cross the Beibu Gulf. First experience at the sea. The difficulty of these trips lies on the fact that, on an emergency event, one have to either travel back to the original coast or continue till the next landing area. Flying at high altitude allows to glide for longer and also gives more time to the emergency services to reach the potential landing site. And few minutes after I reach FL195, I have to begin the descent. I'm quite happy with the performance of the Baron, as usual.








And I'm again at China, this time on a island. I border the coast towards Sanya. The island have a tropical weather, so these cities are very touristic, with huge hotel skyscrappers. Somehow, Sanya and the surroundings remind me to Dubai.











Nothing special at this island, I would say, besides the beaches and resorts. I won't stay for too long here.

------

Technical details:
 
VVNB ZJSY

HANOI HAIPHONG HALONG BEIBU DAGUANGBA SYX

Distance: 320 nm
Average GS: 200/250 kt
Altitude: 2,000 ft / FL195

METAR:

VVNB 281400Z 13009KT 9999 BKN020 BKN024 30/26 Q1007 NOSIG
ZJSY 281500Z 07003MPS CAVOK 29/26 Q1009 NOSIG



No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...