Monday, June 26, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 36 - Bohjpur to Lukla

After the night, with the sun up, I realised about how stunning this area is. A very remote airfield surrounded by deep valleys.


There is no wind, so I decided to takeoff towards the west, since the terrain was easier in case of lack of power or stall. I'm very careful with the cheklist, since both departure and landing will be extremely tricky. And I have 5 passengers on board, so pretty heavy. They offer me to refill the fuel but I prefer not to, the flight will be just about 10 minutes and I prefer to fly light on the arrival.







I managed to rotate right at the very end of the runway. The climbing was very easy, as usual with the Baron at these altitudes. And now, let's stabilize the plane at a low speed and about FL125, since the approach to Lukla is usually done at 10,500 ft.







And there it is, probably the most iconic airfield in the world. Flaps on approach mode, gear down and full manual. I extend flaps to landing configuration right before touching down...








I have broken something for sure. It was a extremely hard touchdown, and the breaks didn't respond well after that. I was very close to crash. I hope the bill is not too expensive.

------

Technical details:

VNKD VNLK

DCT

Distance: 30 nm
Average GS: 245 kt
Altitude: 10,500 ft

METAR:

N/A
N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...