Sunday, June 25, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 31 - Dehradun to Nepalgunj

We are at Nepal's monsoon season, which means plenty of rain and clouds, every day, as we saw in the previous leg. Finding a window of good time is difficult, but after waiting a couple of days the skies are a bit clear and I take advantage of this to fly again. These days have been also useful to have the Baron fully repaired and checked. The left engine still shows a bit of tear, but nothing serious yet. Good to know anyway, to avoid mistreating it more than usual. So, after thanking the workshop and paying the repairs, I begin to plan my flight. I also found two jobs, a passenger to Nepalgunj and 117 kg of cargo to Pokhara.

The weather prediction show some clouds and potential rain, but also clear areas, so I decided to file a Z-VFR plan, taking off with the help of the minimums sectorial chart and using VOR navigation at a safe altitude. Luckily, as soon as I get some altitude, the clouds dissolve and the panorama is perfect to fly.







From here I climb to FL195 and continue on visual all along the Himalaya, to the East, leaving India and entering Nepal.















Time to head South, following the VOR, towards Nepalgunj. This small city surrounded by farms was my first stop at Nepal during World Tour 1, same as now. As I approach, I have memories from the flat fields and rivers I followed the last time along India. Now I approach from the North and the separation between mountains and flat fields is stunning. The field elevation is about 500 ft, so long descent, using the VFR 08 chart approach as a reference.











No clouds at all, despite the weather predictions. I must have been lucky with the window of good weather then.






My passenger leaves the plane quite happy, as I am with the Baron, that flew as new. And after a short stop for a coffee, I continue my flight towards Pokhara.

------

Technical details:

VIDN VNNG

NGJ

Distance: 290 nm
Average GS: 260 kt
Altitude: FL195

METAR:

VIDN 251330Z 32003KT 6000 FEW030 SCT060 25/24 Q1002
VILK 251500Z 10004KT 4000 BR SCT020 SCT025 BKN100 31/29 Q0999 NOSIG

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...