Monday, June 5, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 24 - Sarakhs to Karshi

This might be the last long leg before the mountains. I plan to take 3 passengers from the Iranian border all across Turkmenistan towards Karshi, a small city in southern Uzbekistan. Again, a vast region of desert without VOR coverage. But there seems to be an oasis with some rivers flowing South, easy to spot due to the farms along them. So I decide to fly at the VFR altitude limit and orient myself from the chill temperatures up there.

I proceed with the startup and I noticed that the right fuel indicator is broken, showing no fuel at all. After fixing it, I proceed with the takeoff.





Soon after the climbing, I find myself in Turkmenistan and manage to see the desert and the oasis at the horizon. This oasis is the where the city of Merv is located, one of the oldest oasis-cities in Central Asia. Again, thanks to the Silk Road, it was once one of the biggest cities in the world.







From here, more desert and 2 rivers. Easy to navigate till a VOR that I use for final approach to Uzbekistan.








The landing in Karshi was beautiful but tricky. I did not manage to descent quick enough so I was high over the runway. After a left pattern with the AP I found myself again high and downwind, so I did a second pattern, this time right handed and full manual to position myself upwind and land smoothly.








I haven't decided yet about the next leg. I was thinking about visiting Afganistan and Pakistan, but their airspaces are crazy. Pakistan brings me good memories from the previous World Tour, but this country seems to be easier in the South, the North looks tricky. Plus, I want to visit the Karakoram and connect it with the Himalaya, which implies diverting few hundred miles North of these 2 countries. So maybe Tajikistan will be my next destination, to approach the Karakoram from the North.

------

Technical details:

OIMC UTSK

KYZYLMES NICHKO AMU-DARYA FAIZABAD

Distance: 270 nm
Average GS: 260 kt
Altitude: FL195

METAR:

OIMM 042200Z 22006KT CAVOK 24/12 Q1015 A2999
UTSK 042300Z 09006KT CAVOK 22/M03 Q1007 R16/CLRD70


No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...