Tuesday, May 23, 2023

World Tour Leg 37 - Jomsom to Katmandu

To me, this is one of the most important legs in this Tour. I plan to get to near the ceiling limit of the Baron, just to overfly the Tilicho Lake, located at about 18,000 ft height. Then, I'll follow a high altitude valley towards the Manaslu peak, then losing altitude to land in Katmandu.

The take off is tricky due to the short runway and the 9,000 ft height of the airfield, but I manage to get some altitude quick and begin flying in circles till reaching FL195 over Jomsom.









 

Once I'm high enough and stable, I take the decision of heading towards Tilicho Lake. This is the most dangerous part of this leg. In case of a failure, either I glide back to Jomsom or find a decent spot to emergency land at 17.000-19,000 ft.








 

Luckily everything went great and the landscapes compensated the tension of the climb. From now on, I'll descend across the valley towards Manaslu.

 
















The Baron behaved perfectly fine and I managed to descend to Katmandu safely. I approached and landed on IFR, due to the bad weather.





Here I just recover quickly, since I'm starting to prepare the next leg, quite iconic due to our destination.

------

Technical details:

VNJS - VNKT

08 DNG DARBANG BENI MARPHA 24

Distance: 125 nm
Average GS: 170 kt
Average alt.: FL195

METAR:
 
N/A
VNKT 190020Z 00000KT 4000 -RA FEW008 SCT030 BKN100 21/21 Q1011 NOSIG




No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...