Saturday, May 27, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 12 - Klagenfurt to Danica

 It's time to leave known territory and begin to explore new lands. I'll miss Austria, but I cannot wait to fly over new places. There is a small package to be carried to Danica, a grass field North of Koprivnica (Croatia). After checking that, despite being grass, the length is more than enough for the Baron, I decide it's time to takeoff. But before, a small fix, since I lost the instruments air on the startup. Since here, everything went great.







I'm a bit worried due to the time, since sunset might happen in about an hour, and I didn't realised that a grass runway may lack illumination. But I enjoy a beautiful climb, leaving Slovenian mountains on the South.





I actually entered this country through Mezica, following Drava river till Maribor, one of the most famous Slovenian cities due to its beauty. From here, I just have to follow the Drava river, taking as reference several intermediate lakes. The forth one, Jezero Dubrava, will be the waypoint previous to the approach.









Now I'm a bit worried, the light is decaying quickly, even more when I descend and the Sun is right at the horizon. I even have to lit the cockpit a bit. I track Zagreb VOR, which is a bit far, but the closest help I find. Luckily, on my descent towards Koprivnica, I saw the long grass runway and I quickly flew directly to it.






No windsock, no lights, no nearby ATIS station. I didn't feel any turbulence and the runway is long, so I assume wind won't be a problem and decide to land in the most comfortable orientation I find. The Sun is fading out quickly, so I don't have much time to lose anyway.




Really soft landing, nice touchdown on an irregular grass runway. First time this Baron lands on soft terrain, and the response has been great. I'm looking forward for the takeoff.

------

Technical details:

LOWK - LDKV

S WEINBERG KORDEZEVA DRAVOGRAD MARIBOR PTUJSKO ORMOZ VARAZDIN JEZERO LUDBREG KOPRIVNICA

Distance: 120 nm
Average GS: 220 kt
Altitude: 7,500 ft

METAR:
 
LOWK 271650Z AUTO 10007KT 050V150 9999 FEW070 23/07 Q1018 NOSIG
N/A
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...