Saturday, May 27, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 13 - Danica to Split

I found some passengers that wanted to fly to Split, the second largest city in Croatia. This place is full of history. Founded as a Greek colony, then was occupied by Rome, Byzantium, Venice and finally Croatia. Nowadays is one of the most important cities in the Adriatic. And I want to see that coast. So I takeoff from the grass runway of Danica, heading South towards Zagreb. I'm careful during the takeoff but the Baron does it perfectly fine. Maybe I need a longer run on grass than on asphalt, but it was easy.




When I checked the weather, I saw some clouds that I didn't like. Plus Croatia is full of dangerous non-recommended airspaces below 9,500 ft, so I decided to fly IFR from Zagreb to the coast, following Zagreb VOR at FL140. Zagreb, the capital of Croatia and the largest city, looks impressive from the air.






Finally, the clouds were not as dangerous, so I decided to start the descent to arrive to the coast below FL100. During this part of the trip, I stopped getting readings from the right engine on the EDM, so I leaned it by using the left one as a reference.All right engine instruments looked fine anyway.

I followed the coast, full of nice islands and small villages, with famous beaches. I remember many Austrians going on summer holidays to this region.















The visual approach to Split airport is done via ADF and VOR, but I don't find a decent altitude on the charts and I end up flying high over the field. I decided to go around, enter on a left traffic pattern and land smoothly on the second try. In front of me, a Caravan was following the glideslope of the ILS, but far enough to allow me land safe.













This is a very busy city, so I don't have any problem finding jobs. I decided to pick 5 passengers that want to visit Dubrovnic. And this destination fits perfectly fine my plans (and my wallet). So next leg, to Dubrovnic.

------

Technical details:

LDKV - LDSP

KOPRIVNICA ZAGREB IFR ZAG-222 TNJ VFR SENJ COAST NOVIGRADSKO SIBENIK RAZANJ TROGIR

Distance: 240 nm
Average GS: 240 kt
Altitude: FL140

METAR:
 
N/A
LDSP 272000Z VRB03KT CAVOK 23/10 Q1014 NOSIG



No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...