Friday, May 26, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 8 - Geneva to Lugano

After planning for a while, I've found a route that suits my needs for the next 3-4 legs. By connecting jobs I'll land in quite iconic places and will fly over Switzerland, Italian and Austrian Alps. So, I switched on the engines and... TWR control at LSGG. It went great, instructed to holding point Z and cleared for takeoff, direct to point E.




At that point I changed to UNICOM and climbed to 5.500 ft towards Lausanne and Montreux, where I could see the Castle of Chillon. In front of me, the valley taking to Martigny.







At Martigny the snow shows up. I doubt there's snow that low, so I should have set the sim month to August, maybe I'll do for the following days, so the snow is removed (hopefully). I headed East, along Sion towards Visp, where I would start climbing aggresively towards Zermatt.







I had the cabin pressurized in advance, expecting to climb over FL100, and it happened. I climbed along the valley leading to Zermatt and, in the front, the Matterhorn showed up. Unluckily, I installed a broken scenario, but I'm sure the default is much worst.








From here, a careful descent between peaks and valleys, till reaching 3,000 ft over Italian ground.










And a short flight over Lago Maggiore, towards Luino. The entry point for visual approach at Lugano is in a nearby hill.






A very beautiful but tricky approach, with some ground effect on arrival that made me bounce during landing. I have never flown here before and again, a very nice region to discover on ultralight in future.











Next trip, finally paid, will take me to Bolzano. Today we flew few miles over Italy, but the first landing on this country will happen tomorrow.

------

Technical details:

LSGG - LSZA

E LAUSANNE MONTREUX MARTIGNY SION VISP ZERMATT FORNARELLI VOGOGNIO VERBANIA W B

Distance: 170 nm
Average GS: 250 kt
Max. alt.: FL150

METAR:
 
LSGG 261220Z 06010KT 9999 FEW040 22/12 Q1022 NOSIG
LSZA 261320Z AUTO 19007KT 150V210 CAVOK 28/14 Q1018

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...