Thursday, May 25, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 3 - Bilbao to Vitoria

None of the jobs available from LEBB convinced me, so I decided to plan a short hop to Vitoria, where a nice cargo job was waiting to be delivered to Girona. In addition, I found 5 passengers wanting to go to Vitoria, so I decided to fly to LEVT. However, the weather was kind of borderline. I should have flown IFR, but decided to go VFR since, over the map, it seemed to be an easy flight of just 20 minutes, following a highway. I was wrong.

Again, the high speed of the Baron on take off made me suffer during the traffic pattern. I was unable to find the visual exit point while I flew over Bilbao and this led me to follow the wrong valley.





The confusion increased even more due to the low altitude and high speed. I could not follow properly the highway leading to Vitoria and, as a consequence, ended up flying in turns trying to orient myself.







Finally I decided to do VOR navigation to LEVT, but again, due to the stress of high speed at low altitude, I confused the frequency by a digit, and for few minutes I followed the wrong station. The visibility was decaying quickly and I was next to hit some aeroturbines. Luckily, when I realised about the wrong VOR and fixed it, I was near LEVT runway 04, so I immediately landed.







Lesson well learnt. Don't fly VFR on marginal VMC or non-VMC with the Baron, it's simply too fast and difficult to orient at low altitudes, specially when following features of the ground. And a magneto is broken, but I'm lucky it was only that.

------

Technical details:

LEBB - LEVT

S1 S AP-68 N

Distance: 30 nm
Average GS: 170 kt
Average alt.: 3,000 ft

METAR:
 
LEBB 250730Z 29005KT 250V330 9999 SCT017 BKN028 16/13 Q1021 NOSIG
LEVT 250830Z 31008KT 280V350 9999 FEW020 BKN032 BKN042 14/10 Q1020
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...