Friday, December 29, 2023

World Tour 2 - Leg 64 - Kushiro to Nakashibetsu

As I mentioned, I got this opportunity to make good money in a short leg, with bad weather approaching in few hours. So I decided to take it and take off as soon as I could from Kushiro.






The leg had nothing special, I just followed a VOR station direct to the destination, at 50 nm. As I approached I saw beautiful squared patterns on the fields, with large areas separated with trees from each other. Interesting perfect geometry. I also had on my left lakes Mashu and Kussharo, caldera lakes that seem beautiful. However, I decided to avoid them by now and just finish this leg quick. I could fly over them on the next leg if I consider it interesting.




The METAR informed about tailwind of 3 kt. Since the runway was long, originally I thought about landing anyway with that tailwind. However, I was unable to deccelerate ot time, arriving too fast to final, so I decided to enter on a traffic pattern to lose speed and land against the wind.







And now yes, finally, this is the last stop at Japan. I'll stay here for few days, waiting for the weather to calm down a bit over the Kuril islands.

Or not... This Tour, although realistic, is also meant to be a challenge. Setting IFR to cross from Japan to Kamchatka at FL190 is not what I want to do, that would be the realistic approach. I prefer to do island hopping and, if I have to deal with bath weather, well, that's the funny part. Ferry flights and discovery flights of remote regions have been traditionally challenging and simulating something similar will be funnier than doing full IFR on a 4 hours leg. So I might decide to throw myself at extreme bad weather over the sea, jumping from island to island at low altitude, despite not being what a normal pilot would do nowadays.

------

Technical details:
 
RJCK RJCN

HOKUTO TORO RJCS NIJIBETSU KENEBETSU

Distance: 50 nm
Average GS: 230 kt
Altitude: 5500 ft

METAR:

RJCK 290000Z 34004KT 9999 FEW030 M06/M10 Q1019
RJCN 290000Z 24003KT 200V260 9999 FEW015 SCT050 M05/M08 Q1019


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...