Tuesday, April 21, 2020

World Tour Leg 14 - Bani Walid to Misrata

As soon as they unloaded the cargo and loaded the new one, I decided to take off towards Misrata. It was 18:00 and I didn't want to spend the night not knowing if I could continue the trip, so I decided to leave as fast as I could.


The take-off by runway 18 was smooth and I quickly turned towards Bani Walid VOR. From it, radial 058 direct to Misrata VOR. The route was as simple as DCT. There are not many landmarks to follow. Just a curvy road, surrounded by sand. And considering my shortage on fuel, I decided to fly in straight line.



Since it was only 60 nm, I didn't fly too high, reaching 5500 ft. just to fly over 3000 ft. and be able to lean the mixture, saving more fuel. In about 15 minutes I saw some green fields near Misrata and the airport.






I didn't find any VFR approach, so I decided to to the VOR procedure to runway 33. The nearest METAR I found was from Tripoli, so I trusted the wind direction, since it's close to Misrata. And I would have preferred a simple traffic pattern, but in the absence of ATC I didn't want to take the risk.




Luckily everything went fine and I landed safe, with nearly 20 gallons on my reserve. Clearly not enough for a safe legal flight. But hey, I'm in the middle of the desert, I guess regulations can be flexible for a day.

------

Technical details:

HLWD - HLMS

DCT

Arrival: VOR DME 33

Distance: 70 nm
Average GS: 180 kt
Average alt.: 5500 ft.

METAR:
N/A
N/A


No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...