Sunday, April 19, 2020

World Tour Leg 11 - Tabarka to Tunis

It was a short leg. Just 30 min in the air. But it felt like hours. Dr. Smendrich took every single opportunity he had to introduce and talk about himself to every passanger in my plane. We were 5 in total. Dr. Smendrich, his assistant, 2 more passengers and myself. At the same time, one of the passengers seemed to have a friend called Cymao, about who he constantly complained. And Dr. Smendrich assistant was taking notes of absolutely everything... In summary, I rised the volume of my headphones, expecting to find a busy airspace to listen to other pilots procedures, far funnier than the situation in my Baron.

But that didn't happen. It was an easy flight, low altitude and no traffic around. I took off from Tabarka runway 27 and look back to see, for the last time, the nice long beach of Tabarka and the Sidi el Barrak dam.




I flew at 3500 ft., following the coast. I found three more dams, next to Louka beach, and the landscape was quite green. At some point I headed to the east, towards Bizerte. On the way to this large city I flew over Ichkeul Lake, part of a national park, flanked by an isolated pointy hill.




A couple of minutes later I was flying over Bizerte Lake, between Bizerte and Menzel Bourguiba. Bizerte, founded by the Phenicians, is one of the oldest city in Tunisia. And it was my landmark to start a soft descent, towards the south, over Remel forest.




Kalâat el-Andalous was the CN point for the visual approach to Tunis-Carthage Int. Airport (DTTA). From there, I flew at about 1000 ft. till CN2 and final of runway 11. There were few soft turbulences during the approach. Luckily, Dr. Smendrich was a bit scared, so he shut up and we could enjoy a silent landing.





So I was in Tunis, capital of Tunisia. I have some time to visit the city before the next flight, whose destination I don't know yet.

------

Technical details:

DTKA - DTTA

BIZERTE CN CN2

Distance: 80 nm
Average GS: 190 kt
Average alt.: 3500 ft.

METAR:
DTKA 190100Z AUTO 26004KT 170V310 CAVOK 19/18 Q1012
DTTA 190130Z 10004KT 070V140 9999 FEW023 18/16 Q1013

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Leg 65 - Nakashibetsu to Ozernovskiy

The moment is here. The weather is not the best, but we wanted a challenge, so let's do it. I plan to cross the Kuril Islands on a singl...