Tuesday, June 4, 2024

World Tour 2 - Leg 66 - Ozernovskiy to Milkovo

The previous leg was exhausting, so I decided to rest a bit at Ozernovskiy. In addition to my physical and mental rest, the Baron also needed some tweaking, primarily to fix the broken gauges and indicators. However, I decided to continue my trip along the Kamchatka Peninsula soon, since the clear weather in this region must be used in our advantage.

I don't find any passengers or cargo to transport, so I fly alone, towards the famous volcanoes that are included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are more than 160 along the Peninsula, 29 of them still active, so I hope to enjoy their view, flying not too high if the weather allows it.

So I take off towards the coast, since it looks safer, considering the snow in the runway and the surrounding hills. Amazing views during the departure.











Because of the lack of navigation beacons along the Peninsula, I decide to follow the coast and navigate by following landscape landmarks such as volcanoes and fjords. Initially I fly relatively low, but due to some mild turbulences I decide to climb to 9,500 ft and stay at this altitude for the whole trip.
















I reached Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky and Yelizovo, two cities located next to each other that serve as home for more than half of the Kamtchatka population. Honestly, it's quite impressive to see people living in these areas.









The stunning Avachinsky (2,741 m) and Koryaksky (3,456 m) volcanoes, both active, show up next to the cities and I cannot resist flying between them. I continue later towards Zhopanovsky, a set of 4 overlapping volcanoes (2,923 m) that have been active very recently.















Finally, I decide to use the landscape to orient myself towards Milkovo, my destination, located on a flat inland valley between mountains and hills. With clear skies it should be easy to spot, but due to the distances and lack of civilization nearby, I have to be cautious. So I fly first towards Karymsky lake, of volcanic origin and with dramatic changes in pH due to recent activity, and then towards Milkovo.


















Easy landing after all, and time to rest and plan the next leg, since the weather is expected to become worse on the following days.

------

Technical details:
 
UHQO UHPM

KURILE-LAKE KLYUCHEVOYE KHODUTKA MUTNOVSKY PETROPAVLOVSK AVACHINSKY KARYMSKY MALY-SEMYACHIK MILKOVO
 
Distance: 270 nm
Average GS: 240 kt
Altitude: 9500 ft

METAR:

N/A
UHPP 311500Z 35006MPS CAVOK M19/M25 Q1002 R34L/820260 NOSIG RMK QFE748/0997


No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Asian summary

Here I am, after so many months, at the end of the Asian section of the World Tour. I made a brief summary when I reached Paro, since it was...