Tuesday, June 4, 2024

World Tour 2 - Leg 68 - Ust to Eareckson As

The weather seems to be a bit nicer towards the Aleutian Islands, so instead of spending weeks at Kamchatka, I decide to fly the first leg along these islands, towards US, and spend several weeks there if needed. For this reason, I decided to file a Y-VFR flighplan, which means IFR on departure. Due to the lack of SIDs, I use the UK ADF to depart by instruments. I also decide to fly as high as I can to avoid the clouds and, as usual over the sea, to have more descent time in case of an emergency event. So I prepare carefully the takeoff, pressurizing the cabin and climbing quickly towards FL190.






















I took off so fast that I forgot to refuel the Baron. Yes, a huge mistake... I realize when I'm on cruising altitude and, after doing some calculations, I decide to continue and land at UHPX to refuel. It's a bit risky, but douable and more convenient than turning back and trying to land with this weather.





So, after several miles over the sea, I reach Nikolskoye airport (UHPX), located at a very remote village of less than 1,000 population. This village is the only one at Bering Island, a 90 km long island which is treeless, desolate and that experiences severe weather, high winds, persistent fog and earthquakes. I have to say that I enjoyed landing here a lot but yes, the winds are crazy and I have to be really careful during landing and takeoff, specially due to the lack of windsock.






After refueling, I take off again and enjoy the views of this remote island. Simply stunning. Later I climb again to FL190 and continue IFR over SYA. After a long stage over the water, finally I reach the so-called Near Islands, Westernmost American land. These group of islands get their name because they are the nearest to Russia. They were briefly taken by Japan during the WWII.
























The landing here it's again very difficult, due to the high crosswind. In fact, as soon as I touch ground, the Baron is pulled towards its side and the far end of the left wing touches the runway. Luckily nothing serious, just a scratch, but a reminder of how tricky is to fly in this region.








Unfortunately, the weather seems to be really bad for the next days, so I don't know when I'll be able to continue the Tour. But at least, I'm at USA, which means the end of Asia and the beginning of America.

------

Technical details:
 
UHPK PASY

UK GOPTI UBELI NK (UHPX) VFR SYA

Distance: 460 nm
Average GS: 250 kt
Altitude: FL190

METAR:

N/A
PASY 101955Z AUTO 35010KT 9SM CLR 03/00 A2951 RMK AO2 SLP997 T00250002 FZRANO $


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Tour 2 - Asian summary

Here I am, after so many months, at the end of the Asian section of the World Tour. I made a brief summary when I reached Paro, since it was...